Thanks to many unpolite, narrow-minded encounters with nurses from Haiti, Guyana, Nigeria, some little islands, and other parts of Africa we had to reach the point of deciding not to allow more nurses from International Neverlands to come here, period. Why? Well... Here:
LANGUAGE
Let's start with the language barriers. Until I learn French I will stay away from people that will only speak French with a touch of English. If they were just doing their job it would not bother much, but when they spend so much time in the phone they neglect work and makes you wonder what crap are they talking about in the phone. Terrible service, followed by the thing about not listening. Either they feign they cannot understand us, or they really don't know their language skills suck. Either way, there is not a true effort to communicate and understand and learn, and when you have to explain something more than 5 times to get an "unju" and then see how they do whatever they please... Red flag raised. Enough is enough.
CONVERSATION TOPICS
Haven't people heard that politics and religion are banned subjects when at work, or at least when you meet someone for the first time... in their house... to give a service in their house? Well... Even having language barriers do not make them stop talking about religion (how everyone else that is not in their religion will go to hell), or politics (Obama, Obama, Obama)... Maybe it wouldn't be such a bother if their conversations were actually intelligent, unbiased, filled with facts. It is horrendous when you have to listen to someone who has a definitively WRONG idea that she believes in with all her heart... Sadly, we have noticed to our dismay that people from foreign countries in Africa or the above mentioned countries are VERY biased, VERY stubborn, VERY narrow minded, and base everything on their experiences on these countries... that have nothing to do with our reality as PuertoRicans. Sorry, people, PR is a different bird in the 3rd world. We ARE Americanized. We are just like Florida, believe it or not. If you visit us you will see we do NOT live as people live in the other Antilles, big or small.
GOD-COMPLEX
They look down on us. We have also noticed to our dismay that these people think they are all above and beyond PuertoRicans and anyone else for that matter... They think easily that we are fools, uneducated, stupid, and dumb. The latest I've had to digest is someone telling me how to complete my education... Interesting as I have a MASTERS DEGREE. It is a big WTF? They don't need guidance, they don't need supervision, and you are being JUST A PROBLEMATIC PARENT. You know, I would say nothing if they actually knew what they were doing... To our experience, 90% don't.
WHAT U WEAR IS WHAT U THINK
Apparently these people don't know about hair dyes. They also don't know about humor, about fashion, about fun. If my t-shirt says "Death is not the end" automatically I belong to a forbidden exclusive cult that believes in life after death in a fanatic way...Interesting views... coming from people that are very fanatic in everything they believe and do.
YOUR MOUTH IS MOVING AND ALL I HEAR IS BLAH BLAH BLAH
Yup, you speak to them, and I don't understand what is their problem... They just think you are speaking giberish, and since what you are saying is unimportant rants from a country person of a small island, what the heck... better dismiss it. Remember, I am stupid and dumb, so I say nothing of value.
NURSE LICENSES AS LOOT
Seems they come to the US and get their licenses from a Cracker Jack box. They get the easy fast way to become licensed, and work work work until they just collapse in the client's bedroom. Because they believe in working 16+ hours, to send money to their families in their far away countries... families that later on don't want them back and question them if they do because that means they stop sending money... WTF? And really, a tired nurse means CRAPPY SERVICE. And that means my baby girl is at double or triple risk of getting an emergency. And this is supposed to give us respite? Please!
MY HOUSE, MY TEMPLE, MY HAVEN
Dear nurse: You are coming to MY house, to take care of MY daughter who happens to have a critical condition and so to need special specific care... I'm gonna watch you as a hawk until you get things straight, and then after that so I am certain you won't mess up. It is NOT personal. I am not here to be your friend, I am here to make sure my daughter gets the service she needs. You get paid a lot. So you come here to work, not sleep. This is not a breeze. If using an ambu scares you, then you are NOT really a nurse as you have not learned how to use it and you must have a fake license. If learning more about your patients is a big chore, please, I beg you, CHANGE YOUR PROFESSION because you don't care. There are many ways to get money, YOU DO NOT PLAY WITH LIVES. And remember that you are in my house giving a service, and the same respect that you want I want. You are giving service, I am your supervisor and your agency is your boss. And whatever you may think, my daughter's health comes first.
So... It has been more than a year of fights and being heated. We have had enough of it all. Of the 2 perfect nurses that we have, one is American and the other accepted being Americanized. While they are here everything flow. Foreign nurses create emergencies and stir problems as apparently they enjoy gossip and drama very very much. So... Problems are cut by their root.
It deeply saddens me that all my life, for 36 years, i have believed in equality and giving a chance to anyone. Experience and life has taught me the opposite. I can be tolerant, but what I do with those who are not tolerant and believe in extremist views and imposes them in everything they do? What is the use of tolerance when this happens? Really? Now I see why war rages as it do in the Old World. Now I see why there is so much neglect and hunger in Africa. Ignorance should NOT be an excuse... The real problem is their unwillingness to seek truth, and to actually be tolerant.
10-4
No comments:
Post a Comment